"Flat" isn't the only issue with access

What's wrong with this picture? Looks like nothing's wrong. But looks can be deceiving.




I took this photo coming out of my polling place. It's a flat entrance. Once you get in, it's all flat. It's flat all the way to where you vote.

The problem? The doors. They are so incredibly heavy I had a really hard time opening them. When I went in, I held the door open for an older lady using a walker. She was "frail": no way she'd've been able to pull the door open.

And forget it if you in a wheelchair.

Is this polling site accessible? No.

But the officials certainly think it is.

Where is this? It's at a church; but it's such a typical problem that this photo could serve for countless other polling sites. When we talk about 'access' we need to consider what we really mean.